Typically, Habanos S.A. announces most of the new Cuban cigars for a given year during its annual Festival del Habano, hosted in Havana each February. This year, that event has been canceled due to the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic, so the company is hosting a virtual event called Habanos World Days next month.
This year marks the 55th anniversary of Cohiba and as such, much of Habanos World Days is dedicated to the brand.
The event—which is open to the public with registration—kicks off on May 4 at 8 a.m. EDT with a welcome from the Habanos S.A. co-presidents. There are a total of five events scheduled for Tuesday:
- 8:00 a.m. EDT — Habanos Premier: Habanos, S.A. Co-presidents welcome you.
Discover the Cohiba Year and the main product launches for 2021.
- 8:45 a.m. EDT — Habanos World Challenge: Show what you know and win a fantastic prize.
Let the challenge begin!
- 9:00 a.m. EDT — Opening of the Virtual Trade Show: Exhibitors from all over the world and Habanos, S.A. have something to show you. Come visit them.
- 9:00 a.m. EDT — Press Conference: For accredited press only.
- 10:00 a.m. EDT — Habanos Premier: Presentation of the Dupont Articles: A luxurious contribution to the 55th Cohiba’s Anniversary
- 10:30 a.m. EDT — Pairing: Cohiba Behike and Havana Club Maximo pairing by “Maestro de maestros” Habanosommelier Juan Jesús Machin (Cuba).
Wednesday will see more of the typical Festival del Habano activities including tours of farms and factories, as well as a new product launch from the watch company Zenith.
- 8:00 a.m. EDT — 360º Videos: Virtual visit to plantations and factories, an all-round experience.
- 8:00 a.m. EDT — Habanos World Challenge: Are you the most knowledgeable about Cohiba in the world? Prove it! Continue the challenge.
Let the challenge begin!
- 8:30 a.m. EDT — Conference: Discover “Cohiba, a success story”
- 9:30 a.m. EDT — Habanos Premier: 2021 product launch.
- 10:00 a.m. EDT — Pairing: Cohiba Robustos and Havana Club 15 years pairing by Manuela Romeralo (Spain), first female Habanosommelier Contest winner.
- 11:00 a.m. EDT — Presentation Zenith Cohiba 55th anniversary watch.
The final day is Thursday, which includes two pairing events and a cognac product launch before lunch.
- 8:00 a.m. EDT — 360º Videos: Virtual visit to La Casa del Habano and Cohiba Atmosphere, an all-round experience.
- 8:30 a.m. EDT — Habanos Premier: 2021 product launch.
- 9:00 a.m. EDT — Pairing: Cohiba Maduro 5, Genios and Cognac Martell Cohiba pairing by Daylin López Aguilar, Habanosommelier and Habanos World Challenge finalist.
- 9:45 a.m. EDT — Habanos Premier: Cognac Martell Cohiba
- 10:00 a.m. EDT — Pairing: Cohiba Espléndidos and Havana Club Tributo 2021 pairing by Darius Namdar (United Kingdom), Habanosommelier Contest winner 2018.
- 11:00 a.m. EDT — Habanos World Challenge: Discover the winners!
- 11:30 a.m. EDT — Habanos Premier: 2020 Habanos Award Nominees.
Official farewell by Habanos, S.A. Co-presidents.
Notably absent from the Habanos World Days is arguably the signature event of the Festival del Habano: the humidor auction. The annual event sees the company auction off roughly a half dozen humidors and typically raise millions of dollars for Cuba’s health system.