Editor’s Note: I’ve made a concerted effort not to speculate on the outcome of Fernandez v. García et al (i.e. the El Rey de los Habanos lawsuit) for a few reasons, but it seems the rumormill has continued to grind and perhaps now has reached a moment that deserves critique. While speculation about a settlement, likely out of optimism, has persisted for a while, recently there’s been a number attached to a settlement figure. I’d like to use this column to say I see zero reason as to why Eduardo Fernandez wants to settle this case and that the current figure that is being tossed around as the number they are settling at seems insanely low. In addition, the fact that either party would speak about a settlement seems a bit asinine given the circumstances, but, believe what you wish. I still think we shall see both parties and their respective attorneys giving opening statements in a Miami courtroom next month. — el niño diablo.
- José Blanco Joins Joya De Nicaragua — This one was sort of coming, press release, picture and some commentary here.
- NHC Surrogates — More details and some discussion here. Cigars have shipped.
- Tatuaje Cojonu 2012 — Not to be confused with the Gran Cojonu 2011 released earlier in Europe. The Cojonu 2012 is the same size as the Cojonu 2003 (6 1/2 x 52 Parejo), but box-pressed and will either have a Connecticut Broadleaf or Sumatra wrapper. Pete said earlier that it will be given out with a box purchase at his October 20th & 21st events at Holt’s. Monster Events?
- Arturo Fuente Destino Al Siglo 13 — Word is, there should be another release of the Destino Al Siglo scheduled for later this year. I previously shared my thoughts on the cigar, here. (Please read the review, the Gran AniverXario in Sun Grown form is the same as the Destino Al Siglo 13, or at least the original size was. Prometheus is releasing five other sizes later this year in both wrappers of the Don Arturo Gran AniverXario.)
- AKA Full Body — According to Jay Lundy, this won’t be out until October.
- Adrian’s 5th Anniversary Maduro — Word from Skip Martin in a discussion with Jerry Cruz is that Michael Rosales’ Adrian’s Cigars will have a 5th Anniversary Maduro coming at some point in the future in addition to a large rebranding of the Adrian’s line.
- Edward Simon Back to Europe — Edward Simon, the now former brand manager of AVO, is headed back to Europe to handle a position at Davidoff Europe.
- Cigar Explorer CRA Charity Event — Cigar Explorer is hosting an event benefiting CRA, you can find more info from what looks to be a hell of a party, here.
Davidoff sent over the press releases on the following, I think we’ve covered both cigars quite a bit, but…
August 29, 2011 — The Zino “Embassy Selection” 2011 has arrived For the third time, a limited edition Zino cigar is making its way to local tobacconists. In its burgundy-colored box with gold logo, the Zino “Embassy Selection” 2011 is a real eye-catcher, making it a very special gift. The cigar, an imposing Robusto format, is limited to 3,000 boxes of 10 worldwide. The filler consists of various Ligero tobaccos that lend it a powerful aroma. The dark, supple wrapper leaf, made of the Selection 702, gives the hearty blend a fascinating balance and ensures a multi-faceted smoking experience. The Zino “Embassy Selection” 2011 is available from selected specialist tobacconists as of September 1st. Zino “Embassy Selection” 2011 – Limited Edition Robusto Format Robusto Length 5” Diameter RG 52 Wrapper leaf Ecuador Special SunGrown, Selection 702 Binder leaf DominicanCriollo Filler Criollo Ligero Piloto Ligero San Vicente Ligero from two different growing regions (all Dominican Republic) Price $10.30 (per cigar) $103.00 (wooden box of 10)
Exclusive cigars in a noble white dress: Davidoff ”White Edition“ 2011
August 30, 2011 — The Davidoff “White Edition” 2011 represents the new concept of this year’s Davidoff Limited Edition. Apart from the famous main ring bearing the Davidoff Logo, the graceful Belicoso Supremo format cigar is accentuated through the elegant vintage footband of the cigars wearing the “2011“ pearlescent insignia and is presented in an imposing, luscious white-lacquered box. The “White Edition” 2011 is not only seducing by its attractive appearance! The San Vicente and Piloto fillers are combined from four different cultivation areas in the Dominican Republic. Before processing, the tobacco was aged for more than five years gaining their characteristic and balanced flavor. A Peruvian Corojo binder and a Dominican Criollo wrapper award the cigar with a balanced stimulation. The new “White Edition” 2011 inspires with spicy, slightly sweet notes and a long lasting aftertaste, rewarding the aficionado with an exceptional smoke indulgence. The Davidoff “White Edition“ 2011 is only available in a limited quantity of 8’000 individually numbered boxes worldwide. Approximately 3,000 boxes will be available in the US in September at all Davidoff Appointed Merchants.
Length 5 ½ inches Diameter RG 52 Wrapper Dominican Criollo Binder Peruvian Corojo Filler San Vicente Ligero Piloto Ligero San Vicente Visus (all Dominican Republic) Price $19 SRP per cigar