14. Rocky Patel TAVICUSA Toro
Rocky Patel Premium Cigars, Inc.
- Country of Origin: Nicaragua
- Factory: Tabacalera Villa Cuba S.A.
- Wrapper: Mexico (San Andrés)
- Binder: Nicaragua
- Filler: Nicaragua (Condega, Estelí & Jalapa)
- Length: 6 1/2 Inches
- Ring Gauge: 52
- Vitola: Toro
- MSRP: $10.60 (Boxes of 20, $212)
- Release Date: Aug. 22, 2018
- Number of Cigars Released: Regular Production
- Original Score: 92
In 2009, Rocky Patel joined forces with Amilcar Pérez-Castro to open Tabacalera Villa Cuba S.A., the first factory owned by Patel. The Estelí-based operation is often referred to as the company's "boutique factory" a description that speaks more to the other factories making cigars for Patel than the factory itself.
This past year, the company released a cigar bearing the name TAVICUSA, an abbreviation of sorts for the factory. It was made to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the factory, which takes place in 2019, meaning the cigar was a bit early to the party. While there could be some debates about whether this is the 10th anniversary, there isn't much discussion of the quality of the cigar.
While it certainly is heavy on toastiness, the TAVICUSA Toro is a very good cigar, one of the better options in the company's massive portfolio and one of the best cigars of 2018. — Charlie Minato.