In 2006, Habanos S.A. introduced the Réplica de Humidor Antiguo (Replica Antique Humidor) series, which consists of extremely well-made and expensive replicas of antique humidors. Inside are usually cigars rolled in vitolas within specific marcas that are either discontinued, never released or previous special editions.
Here is the press release from Habanos when the Romeo y Julieta Réplica de Humidor Antiguo was released in 2008:
Habanos s.a. will launch a Replica of an Ancient Romeo y Julieta Humidor this year, of which, only 250 cases will be produced and will be exclusively aimed to Casas del Habano worldwide.
Now, Romeo y Julieta is bringing back an astonishing size: the Romeos (Girth 52 x 162 mm long) which is a Doble Figurado or Fancy shape, exclusively manufactured for this release and comprising 50 of them in each Humidor. This size was discontinued in the 70´s but brought back for the 125th anniversary of the brand in a Commemorative Humidor in 2000.
These humidors are totally manufactured by hand and made up of cedar and mahogany, by the renowned Cuban goldsmith Ernesto Aguilera who was also the artisan responsible for the Partagás and H. Upmann replicas that were commercialized by Habanos s.a. in 2006 and 2007 respectively. He is the author of some unique masterpieces auctioned at the past editions of the Habanos Festivals as well.
Here is a photo of the Romeo y Julieta Réplica de Humidor Antiguo:
There have been a total of six releases in the Replica Antique Humidor series since 2006. They are:
- 2006 — H. Upmann — Tacos Imperiales — 200 Humidors of 50 Cigars (10,000 Total Cigars)
- 2007 — Partagas — Sobresalientes — 200 Humidors of 50 Cigars (10,000 Total Cigars)
- 2008 — Romeo y Julieta — Romeos — 250 Humidors of 50 Cigars (17,500 Total Cigars)
- 2009 — Montecristo — Double Corona — 350 Humidors of 50 Cigars (17,500 Total Cigars)
- 2011 — Hoyo de Monterrey — Monterrey — 350 Humidors of 50 Cigars (17,500 Total Cigars)
- 2012 — Ramón Allones — Imperiales — Not Announced
But enough of that, lets get down to business, shall we?
- Cigar Reviewed: Romeo y Julieta Réplica de Humidor Antiguo Romeo (2008)