Editor’s Note: Surreal is the word of the day. This week, the industry lost one of its brightest figures — Bert Gottfried of Oliva Family of Cigars. Many offered up their words on Bert’s life and many did so in our small tribute to Bert. For anyone that knew Bert, this sort of support comes to no shock and is wholeheartedly deserved. I don’t really have much else to say, except that we lost one of the good ones. Viva Oliva. Viva Bert. — el niño diablo.
- E.P. Carrillo Elencos Oscuro — The year keeps getting busier for Ernesto, and it sounds like next year isn’t going to be much lighter. Story is here.
- Nat Sherman Townhouse Exclusive by My Father — For the second time in a year Michael Herklots (formerly General Manager of Davidoff of Geneva Stores and now with Nat Sherman) is working with the García family to develop a cigar exclusive to the New York store he represents. As for the new Nat Sherman blends, Herklots says they are moving forward with them and the plan is still to have the Timeless Collection out shortly.
- Cubao No. 6 Discontinued & Distribution Changes — The way this should have been framed reads: CI/Cigar.com, JR and Famous are no longer carrying Cubao. Instead, it reads as Thompson gains distribution exclusivity, but B&Ms can still order. Quotes and the rest of the story are here.
- Bert Gottfried Passes Away — I’d like to thank all those who took the time to comment and send in their thoughts here. Oliva is still working on the social media tribute, more details when they are available.
- Inter-tabac 2011 — Doesn’t sound like there were many new products from the European trade show, and it sounds like everyone paid their import taxes this year.
- General Cigar Requests Summary Judgment in COHIBA case — Frank Herrera provides news on the latest updates to the decades-long case.
- Cigar Imports Increasing — The following comes from the Cigar Association of America. (Numbers are in thousands.) The end result of the numbers represents a 12.08% increase in Year to Date numbers over 2010.
|Country of Origin||2011 (May)||2010 (May)||2011 (Year to Date)||2010 (Year to Date)|