12. La Aurora 115th Anniversary Limited Edition Gran Toro
- Country of Origin: Dominican Republic
- Factory: La Aurora Cigar Factory
- Wrapper: Ecuador
- Binder: Dominican Republic
- Filler: Brazil & Dominican Republic
- Length: 6 Inches
- Ring Gauge: 58
- Vitola: Gordo
- MSRP: $19 (Box of 15, $285)
- Release Date: March 2019
- Number of Cigars Released: 3,000 Boxes of 15 Cigars (45,000 Total Cigars)
- Original Score: 92
La Aurora celebrated its 115th anniversary with two blends: one a limited edition blend and the other a regular production blend. The limited edition blend came in two sizes—Belicoso (6 1/4 x 52) and the one we’re here to talk about today, the Gran Toro (6 x 58).
The Gran Toro only came in special jars, while the Belicoso came packaged in boxes. While some people shy away from larger ring gauge cigars thinking they aren’t as flavorful as smaller ring gauges, they would be missing out here. The Ecuadorian wrapper, Dominican binder and Brazilian and Dominican fillers create a complex, smooth and creamy profile that is easy to enjoy from start to finish.
While the cigar was announced in 2018 for the company’s 115th anniversary, it was released in 2019, which would be its 116th anniversary. Since our awards account for every review through the end of the year, we’re presenting them in 2020, that means La Aurora can enjoy placing on our Top 25 list for its 117th anniversary. It's all a bit confusing, but the cigar is good. — Brian Burt.