23. Foundation Chest Collector Humidor Corona Gorda
Foundation Cigar Co.
- Country of Origin: Nicaragua
- Factory: Tabacalera AJ Fernandez Cigars de Nicaragua S.A.
- Wrapper: Connecticut (Broadleaf)
- Binder: Mexico (San Andrés)
- Filler: Honduras & Nicaragua
- Length: 5 1/4 Inches
- Ring Gauge: 46
- Vitola: Corona Extra
- MSRP: $16.60 (Boxes of 30, $500)
- Release Date: Nov. 16, 2017
- Number of Cigars Released: 200 Boxes of 30 Cigars (6,000 Total Cigars)
- Original Score: 91
The Foundation Chest Collector Humidor Corona Gorda is probably better known for its box than the cigar. That box was inspired by a Hoyo de Monterrey humidor from the 1920s and opens to reveal two boxes which fold up and out. It was created to commemorate the company’s new headquarters, which opened last year in the middle of a tobacco field in Windsor, Conn.
According to Nicholas Melillo, founder of Foundation, the humidor cigars are rolled with the same tobacco as the regular productionTabernacle Corona Gorda, but in very different proportions.
If you were lucky enough to get ahold of one of the 6,000 exclusive Chest Collector Humidor Corona Gordas, you will enjoy a profile full of black pepper, rich espresso beans, creamy cedar and cinnamon, as well as a underlying sweetness that changes from dried raisin in the first third to marzipan to crème brûlée in the final third. — Brooks Whittington.