First Quesada made an España Lancero, now they are onto something even thinner. While the company will no longer be sending one retailer a month a cabinet of España Lanceros, it will continue the program next year with an 7 x 33 Selección España Ninfa.
Terence Reilly of SAG Imports, the distributor for Quesada, told halfwheel that the first of the 50-count Ninfa cabinets will ship in January.
“It looked like we were going to have to cancel the Ninfa until we asked our production supervisor, a man who has 20 years experience rolling all sorts of strange shapes and sizes, to see what he could do,” said Reilly.
“He was quite positive he wasn’t going to be able to make one with the España blend but after much pleading and the promise of a bottle of scotch, he set out to see what he could do. After two prototypes, one which didn’t draw consistently and one that lost the distinct España flavor, he finally nailed it.”
The cigar carries an MSRP of $12.95, a steep increase over the Lancero’s $8.50 price tag. The reason has to do with just how difficult the cigar is to roll.
“It was the most difficult cigar we’ve ever made,” said Reilly. “With a 7×33 there is very little room for error, and, to further complicate matters, the España has four filler tobaccos.”
The Ninfa will be the fifth España vitola to be released. The cigar was originally a Spanish market only release, but after much requests, the company opened up U.S. accounts with the three original sizes, before adding the limited Lancero this year.
- Quesada Selección España Short Robusto (4 x 50) — $7.95 (Boxes of 20, $159.00) — March 2011 — Regular Production
- Quesada Selección España Robusto (5 x 52) — $8.50 (Boxes of 20, $170.00) — March 2011 — Regular Production
- Quesada Selección España Corona (5 1/2 x 42) — $7.25 (Boxes of 20, $140.00) — March 2011 — Regular Production
- Quesada Selección España Lancero (7 x 38) — $8.50 (Cabinets of 50, $425.00) — January 2013 — 12 Cabinets of 50 Cigars (600 Total Cigars)
- Quesada Selección España Ninfa (7 x 33) — $12.95 (Cabinets of 50, $647.50) — January 2014 — 12 Cabinets of 50 Cigars (600 Total Cigars)
While the España Ninfa will carry the signature bands and is once again limited to 600 cigars, the nature of how the retailers will be selected is changing. Each month SAG Imports will ship one cabinet to a retailer, unlike in 2013, the retailers will not be chosen at random.
“The change is due to two reasons: one, several very deserving accounts did not receive any and we aim to rectify that; and two, no one believed it was a raffle and so if we are going to take flack from people not receiving a box, it might as well be deserved,” said Reilly.
The España Ninfa might be the only 7 x 33 cigar sold in the U.S. next year, although one of the popular Macanaudo sizes measures 7 x 34.