The Kafie 1901 Serie L Natural, which celebrates the 50th birthday of Dr. Gaby Kafie, has been announced as a mid-September release.
The cigar is reportedly a Dominican puro that uses a corojo wrapper from the Cibao Valley, which Kafie claims has been aged for five years. It is being made by La Aurora, where Kafie moved his company’s production to in February 2022 after closing his factory in Danlí, Honduras in November 2021.. Kafie developed the blend for the cigar along with Manuel Inoa, La Aurora’s master blender.
It will be offered in five sizes:
- Kafie 1901 Serie L Natural Robusto (5 x 50) — $9.50 (Box of 20, $190)
- Kafie 1901 Serie L Natural Toro (5 3/4 x 54) — $11 (Box of 20, $220)
- Kafie 1901 Serie L Natural Belicoso (6 1/4 x 54) — $11 (Box of 20, $220)
- Kafie 1901 Serie L Natural Churchill (7 x 47) — $12.50 (Box of 20, $250)
- Kafie 1901 Serie L Natural Gran Toro (6 x 58) — $12.50 (Box of 20, $250)
The Robusto and Toro will be the first two to be shipped, while the other three vitolas are currently slated for a December release.
Kafie had previously announced a Serie L release in July 2021, though that cigar was being madly his factory and featured a completely different blend, using an Ecuadorian habano wrapper over a binder and filler from Nicaragua. That cigar was being made by Tabacalera Kafie and had been slated for a winter release, though it is unclear if it was ever released. Kafie’s 50th birthday occurred in July 2021.
Kafie made the announcement via Cigar Aficionado, and declined to provide images of the cigar or additional details due to an exclusivity agreement with that publication.
Update (Aug. 30, 2022) — The company issued a press release today which confirmed details of the initial report as well as images that have been added to the article.