Matilde Cigar Co. is one of two companies located inside the Quesada booth not named Quesada, the other being Regius. What makes it interesting is that Quesada doesn’t handle production of Matilde, rather the company’s cigars are now being produced at Tabacalera Palma. Regius also has cigars made by a non-Quesada factory, Plasencia, but the Quesadas themselves have cigars made at Plasencia and there’s a well-established relationship between the two families.
This is the second year Matilde is in the Quesada booth after having its own booth in 2013. I think it’s certainly an intelligent—and economical—strategy to be in your distributors booth given out on your own and it seems like most have gone this route versus separate booths.
The new box-pressed line is supposed to fit in between the original Matilde Renacer and sophomore Matilde Oscura line in terms of strength. It also marks the first time the company has a box-pressed cigar, which in this case is a pretty extreme sandwich press.
- Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
- Binder: Dominican Republic
- Filler: Dominican Republic & Nicaragua
- Matilde Quadrata Robusto (5 1/4 x 50) — $8.50 (Boxes of 20, $170)
- Matilde Quadrata Torpedo (6 x 52) — $9 (Boxes of 20, $180)
- Matilde Quadrate Toro Bravo (6 1/2 x 54) — $9 (Boxes of 20, $180)
Launch Date: Now
Production: Regular Production