It’s been seen in the wild since at least January, but next week the Undercrown Sun Grown from Drew Estate will gets its official release at the 2017 ICPCR Convention & Trade Show.
The Undercrown Sun Grown becomes the third installment in the line, joining the original Undercrown, which was released in 2011, and the Undercrown Shade, which was released in 2015. For this new line, the blending team at Drew Estate selected a sun grown Sumatra wrapper from Ecuador, with a Connecticut River Valley stalk cut and cured sun grown habano binder and fillers from Nicaragua, which includes a leaf of “extensively aged ligero” from the Nueva Segovia region of the country, which is located near the border with Honduras. According to a press release, this particular tobacco was added to enhance the strength of the blend.
“Challenging Willy Herrera and the Undercrown blending team to create the new expression after finally securing sun grown tobacco is extremely exciting, as we have tried to secure this Sumatra Ecuador tobacco for over 15 years,” said Jonathan Drew, president and founder of Drew Estate, via a press release.
The Undercrown Sun Grown will be available in seven vitolas:
- Undercrown Sun Grown Flying Pig (3 15/16 x 60) — $12.72 (Boxes of 12, $152.64)
- Undercrown Sun Grown Robusto (5 x 54) — $8.48 (Boxes of 25, $212)
- Undercrown Sun Grown Corona (5 5/8 x 46) — $8.20 (Boxes of 25, $205)
- Undercrown Sun Grown Belicoso (6 x 52) — $9.84 (Boxes of 25, $246)
- Undercrown Sun Grown Gran Toro (6 x 52) — $9.02 (Boxes of 25, $225.50)
- Undercrown Sun Grown Gordito (6 x 60) — $11.20 (Boxes of 25, $280)
- Undercrown Sun Grown Corona Doble (7 x 54) — $10.38 (Boxes of 25, $259.50)
The 2017 IPCPR Convention & Trade Show runs from July 11 – 14 in Las Vegas, Nev.
Images courtesy of Drew Estate.