Currently $405 on ebay with two days left. Buy It Now $550. Might be a scam. Four bidders and all are private listings.
News: List of Tatuaje Monster Unlucky 13 Retailer List Emerges
On Friday, Pete Johnson made his annual most-anticipated announcement, the list of retailers who would be getting dress boxes of the Tatuaje Monster Series release. This year’s release, The JV13 is based off of the character Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th. The 7 1/2 x 52 Double Corona uses a Connecticut broadleaf wrapper over Nicaraguan fillers and is the sixth release of the annual series.
The six releases are:
- Tatuaje The Frank (7 5/8 x 49) — 2008 — Named after the Frankenstein — 666 Dress Boxes of 13 Cigars (8,658 Total Cigars)
- Tatuaje The Drac (6 3/8 x 52) — 2009 — Named after Dracula — 1,300 Dress Boxes of 13 Cigars (16,900 Total Cigars)
- Tatuaje The Face (6 3/8 x 56) — 2010 — Named after Leatherface from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre — 666 Dress Boxes of 13 Cigars & 1,300 Plain Boxes of 10 Cigars (21,658 Total Cigars)
- Tatuaje The Wolfman (7 1/2 x 52) — 2011 — Based on the monster from The Wolf Man (1941) — 666 Dress Boxes of 13 Cigars & 1,300 Plain Boxes of 10 Cigars (21,658 Total Cigars)
- Tatuaje The Mummy (7 3/4 x 47) — 2012 — Based on the Boris Karloff character — 666 Dress Boxes of 13 Cigars & 3,100 Plain Boxes of 10 Cigars (39,658 Total Cigars)
- Tatuaje The JV-13 — 2013 — Based on Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th — 666 Dress Boxes of 13 Cigars & 4,500 Plain boxes of 10 Cigars (53,658 Total Cigars)*
*The JV-13 will feature a band, the cigar shown above is a prerelease sample.
The 13 retailers, who were originally announced on Johnson’s private Saints & Sinners forum on Friday, are:
- Atlantic Cigar Co
- Buttheads Tobacco Emporium
- Cigar Master
- Don Francisco Cigars
East Brunswick, N.J.
- Fine Ash Cigars
- Havana House
- Humidor Pipe Shop
- Leesburg Cigar and Pipe
- Liberty Tobacco
San Diego, Calif.
- Prime Cigar and Wine Bar
Boca Raton, Fla.
- Tobacco Shoppe of Midland
- Town & Country Cigar Bar
- Union Cigar Society
According to conversation on the Saints & Sinners forum, as many as nine of the 13 retailers may be limiting sales of dress boxes to in-store customers.
The dress boxes were first shown off at the 2013 IPCPR trade show and convention in July.
As in the past, 666 dress boxes of 13 will be released to the public, each of the Unlucky 13 retailers will receive 31 dress boxes. The remaining 263 boxes will go Johnson’s other accounts. The dress boxes will ship first to the Unlucky 13 and then to the other retailers in the middle of the month.
In addition, there will be 4,500 plain 10-count boxes, making this the largest Monster Series release of all-time with 53,658 cigars being released. Johnson is known to keep some back for charity and other purposes, but this is the first time the Monster Series has gone over 40,000 cigars, let alone 50,000.
Pricing for each cigar is $13.00 per cigar meaning the dress boxes carry an MSRP of $169.00 and the plain boxes $130.00. The cigars are no different, although the plain boxes traditionally have cigars wrapped in cellophane. The dress boxes routinely fetch upwards of $400.00 on the secondary market within weeks of the release.
As has been the case for the last few years, accessory-maker S.T. Dupont will also be making a special lighter for the release.