News: Habanos SA Deletion List Surfaces
A combination of some 22 brands and packaging formats are scheduled for deletion from the Habanos S.A. catalog in the near future, according to a blog post by a La Casa del Habano retailer.
Christoph Wolters, who runs the LCDH in Hamburg, Germany, posted the list slated for the chopping block to his blog Monday morning, citing the regular practice of pruning “unpopular cigars and cigars not selling in sufficient qualities” from the state-owned cigar company’s portfolio. “Sometimes it’s nothing that makes the cigar community cry – but in some cases the discontinuation is hard to understand, to say the least,” Walters added in the post.
The list currently scheduled for deletion is as follows:
- Cohiba Lanceros in pack of 5
- Cuaba Diademas
- Cuaba Generosos
- H. Upmann Magnum 46 in Cab of 50
- H. Upmann Magnum 50 in Cab of 50
- Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial in Cab of 50
- Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux in Cab of 25
- Hoyo de Monterey Le Hoyo du Gourmet in Cab of 25
- José L. Piedra Nacionales in packs of 5 and bundles of 25
- Juan Lopez Petit Coronas
- Juan Lopez Seleccion No.2 in Cab of 50
- La Gloria Cubana Inmensos
- La Gloria Cubana Medaille d’Or No. 2
- Montecristo No. 3 in packs of 3
- Montecristo Tubos
- Partagás 8-9-8 in boxes of 10
- Partagás Coronas Junior Tubos in packs of 3
- Quai d’Orsay Imperiales
- Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.3
- Saint Luis Rey Double Coronas
- Saint Luis Rey Serie A
- San Cristobal El Morro
It is important to note that some of the deletions are simply for a packaging format, such as the case with the H. Upmann Magnum 46 and Magnum 50 in the 50-count cabinets, while in other cases a size is going away, such as the Saint Luis Rey Double Coronas and Serie A. As Walters notes in his blog, the 50-count cabinet seems to quickly be becoming a thing of the past, as it is scheduled for deletion from four brands.
Officials from Habanos S.A. have not responded to a request for comment on Walters’ post.