Editor’s Note: On Friday, the IPCPR sent out the much awaited “rules” for the bloggers. It was met with quite a host of criticisms, but in the end, I think it can only be viewed as a step in the right direction. There were a host of difficulties involved with trying to create a solution and I think in the end, despite its flaws, the solution was a positive one. Furthermore, the IPCPR is the organization that has done more to interact with new media organizations than any other body. Moreso than CRA, more than ProCigar, more than anyone else. It’s not perfect, but it’s more than a start, see you in Vegas. — el niño diablo.
- Tatuaje 7th Reserva Capa Especial — Scheduled to be out in two weeks, these are full production cigars. Seems like a single size (5 1/2 x 46) that will retail for under $10. (This makes four new cigars due out by the end of June for Pete.)
- Casa Miranda by Nestor Miranda — It’s a new boutique that will join the Nestor Miranda Gran Reserve at the IPCPR show, details and artwork are here.
- Oliva Connecticut Reserve Petite Corona — Release date is still shaky, but everything else is known. Tubos and ashtrays are on their way as well. Details, here.
- Tatuaje M80 — Details are out, more are still missing. Available Saturday, ships Monday; rest of the info is here.
- Alec Bradley Mataza — StogieGuys has a review about this new line from Alan Rubin’s company.
- Perdomo ESV 2002 — Not a whole lot of details currently, but expect this at the show.
- Perdomo Exhibicion No. 2 — Not a whole lot of details on this one either except that it is also out at the show.
- Emilio AF2 — These have left A.J. Fernandez’s factory and should be in retailers shortly. It’s the same sizes as the AF1 with an Ecuadorian Habano Oscuro wrapper and Pennsylvania Ligero for fillers.
- E.P. Carrillo Short Run 2011 — According to Jack Shwartz Importers these should be out soon. Three sizes for the Ecuadorian Habano wrapped versions: Bombones (4 7/8 x 50), Canozanos (5 7/8 x 52), and Inmensos (6 1/4 x 60). Once again boxes of twenty-four and a somewhat limited run.
- Illusione Singularé 2011 — Dion Giolito announced that he had sold out of back stock of the 2010 Illusione Limited Edition and said that the 2011 version should ship in November.
- Tarazona R305 & More — Tarazona is adding a new size (Toro) to their 305 line and has announced that the Revolution 305 (R305) will be shown off at IPCPR. These come from Mederos Cigars’ Cubanacan Cigars S.A.
- Viaje WLP Fifty Fifty Red — Scheduled for this week, again.
- SWAG Limitado 99 — Seems this has been pushed back as well to the IPCPR show. One size, 6 x 54; 1,000 boxes last I checked.
- Gran Habano STK Opium — 6 x 52, out at the show.
- Java Mint — Probably not going to pick up these, but there’s a new flavor coming to the Rocky Patel & Drew Estate collaboration..
- LFD “The Digger” Enters Full Production — The 8 1/2 x 60 Monsters are scheduled to return as part of the regular LFD line at IPCPR. Details here.
- Area Fumado Lighter by Djeep — Pete Johnson showed a picture of the new Djeep Area Fumado lighters. Presumably we will see this at IPCPR, along with that coffin travel humidor and the rest of Pete Johnson’s accessory line.
- Gary Hyams Named CEO and President of Gurkha — Site sponsor Gurkha has named Gary Hyams, most recently the chairman of CAO, president and CEO. I’m not sure what role Kaizad Hansotia is taking, but I’ll try to get news as it comes.
- ACID Cigars Trademark Dispute — Seems someone that Drew Estate explored business opportunities with, filed for a trademark of their own regarding ACID. Drew Estate filed opposition.
- A Minor Victory in California — Cigar shops in California were removed from a proposed indoor smoking ban bill. I also hear that California’s tobacco tax will be declining again, more info to come.
- New York Cigar Tax Capped? — A Senate Committee in Albany has passed a $1.00 cap on cigar taxes in New York State, this would severely limit the current taxes which are 75% of the wholesale cost with no limit.
- Texas Smoking Ban Avoided (Again) — Last ditch attempt to resurrect similar results from last week failed.
C.Gars Ltd has published the catalog for their next auction. As always, it’s an incredible list of cigars being offered up on July 4th, perhaps most notably Lot 57 – Siglo XXI Humidor, some others:
- Lot 4 – Cohiba Siglo VI Gran Reserva
- Lot 38 – Cohiba Millenium Piramides Jar
- Lot 46 – Cohiba Siglo VI 40th Anniversary Humidor
- Lot 49 – Montecristo B Compay Segundo Centennial Humidor
- Lot 52 – Partagas 150th Anniversary Humidor
- Lot 57 – Siglo XXI Humidor
- Lot 75 – Dunhill Havana Club
- Lot 96 – Cohiba Corona Especiales and Lanceros
- Lot 117 – Festival Del Habano 2000
- Lot 135 – Habanos Humidor
- Lot 181 – Presidencia “109”
- Lot 182 – Presidencia Sublimes
- Lot 215 – Winston Churchill – Gifted Cigars
- Lot 228 – La Corona Menocales
A bunch of updates to Sosa cigars.
Antillian Cigar Corporation Reinvents Itself by Introducing Three Fresh New Cigar Brands
Miami, Florida-June 2, 2011-Antillian Cigar Corporation, owner of popular cigar brands such as Sosa, Imperio Cubano and Macabi, explodes onto the cigar scene this summer with the introduction of three new brands. The new brands, Sosa Underground, 60 by Sosa, and Sosa Family Selection, are a collaboration of new and old cigar traditions by the Sosa family created to appeal to the individuality of the cigar lover.
The hippest of the new brands, Sosa Underground, is a full-bodied cigar made in Little Havana, Florida with an Habano wrapper. Three hundred cigars will be manufactured per week in two sizes of perfectos: Arcane at 4 ¾ x 41 with a suggested retail of $6.00 and Delphic at 5 ½ x 41 with a suggested retail of $6.50. As a special feature, the Underground brand unveils original tattoo artwork created solely for the Sosa family by local Miami tattoo artist, Jay Barranco.
60 by Sosa brings sophistication to the cigar connoisseur. 60 by Sosa is a medium-bodied cigar made in Honduras with an Ecuador Sumatra wrapper. All cigars are manufactured with 60-ring gauges in the following sizes: 4 x 60, 5 x 60, 6 x 60 and 7 x 60 with a suggested retail between $6.25 and $7.80.
It just keeps getting better with the Sosa Family Selection brand. Sosa Family Selection is a medium- to full-bodied cigar made in Honduras and available in Natural and Maduro wrappers. Sizes available will be: Robusto at 5 x 50, Toro at 6 x 50, Gran Toro with 6 x 50, Churchill at 7 x 48 and Double Magnum at 6 x 60 with suggested retail at price ranging from $5.40 to $7.00.
“We are looking forward to introducing the quality of Sosa cigars back to the consumer and creating something this fresh and exciting,” said Arby Sosa, sales manager of Antillian Cigar Corporation and son of Juan B. Sosa.
The Sosa cigar tradition began with Don Juan Sosa, a small tobacco grower in the fertile Taguasco region of Cuba at the turn of the century. By the 1920’s, his farm had become one of the largest tobacco-producing haciendas in Cuba. Over the next 30 years, Don Juan’s son, Arturo, and grandson, Juan, manufactured cigars for sale in Cuba and abroad. Juan B. Sosa moved the operation to the Dominican Republic in the 1960’s where the family re-established their factory along with operations in Miami, Florida. Today, the legacy of quality, handmade cigars made in the Cuban tradition continues with master blender, Juan B. Sosa, alongside his wife, sons and nephews.
For more information about these new brands visit www.antilliancigars.com to learn more about the company.
Mentioned this a bit before, St. Louis is getting a Zino Platinum lounge.
Zino Platinum unveils new lounge in St. Louis
Zino Platinum, an ultra-premium cigar brand, announces the addition of a new Zino Platinum Lounge in St. Louis at Brennan’s.
Zino Platinum is opening its third lounge with the addition of Brennan’s, an upscale wine, food and tobacco shop located on Maryland Avenue in St. Louis. Described as the only lounge in the country exclusively spinning vinyl records, Brennan’s has a sophisticated and modern jazz atmosphere. Famous for its eclectic mixture of comedy, cigars and music, Brennan’s features a monthly debate system “Arguments & Grievances.” The bar has won numerous awards over the years, including most recently 2010’s Best Outdoor Drinking by River Front Times and Best Bar ‘A List’ by St. Louis Magazine. Brennan’s will join the ranks of ZP lounges, including Vicente of London located in Naples, FL and Angry Moon Cigars in West Palm Beach, FL.
“Zino Platinum is proud to add Brennan’s to our family of exclusive lounges,” marketing manager Rich Krutick said. “It’s unique and original concept makes it a destination for any connoisseur of music, wine and cigars.” For more information on Brennan’s, visitwww.zinoplatinumSTL.com.
Too bad Charlie Stahl is moving to Tampa, Kentucky’s got a new cigar shop.
ANNOUNCING THE GRAND OPENING OF RIVERSIDE CIGAR SHOP AND LOUNGE
The Premiere Location for Kentuckiana’s Cigar Connoisseurs
Jeffersonville, IN – Tuesday, May 31, 2011: The highly anticipated Grand Opening Celebration of the Riverside Cigar Shop and Lounge in downtown Jeffersonville is confirmed for this Friday, June 3, from 3:00 p.m. until closing, with Grand Opening specials continuing throughout the weekend.
A modern oasis for the 21st Century cigar lover (and those who love them), the Riverside Cigar Shop and Lounge is nestled in the heart of picturesque downtown Jeffersonville at the corner of Market and Spring Streets. Its contemporary interior features luxuriously comfortable leather chairs, high-definition television screens, as well as a walk-in humidor. Equipped with a state-of-the art ventilation system, ideal for smokers and non-smokers alike, Riverside is the perfect place for a get-together with friends during a night out on the town, to celebrate a romantic evening with that special someone, or even hold an informal business meeting.
The Grand Opening Celebration is generously sponsored by Oliva Cigars, the gold standard for cigar aficionados, with raffle prizes, door prizes and giveaways galore, including a complimentary Oliva Gift Set with the purchase of any Oliva box. Silver sponsor Falls City Beer will be providing an old Kentuckiana favorite, now back with a new formula based on its pale ale of the 1930s. You can also enjoy your favorite cocktails and bar food on opening (and every other) day and night, courtesy of the adjacent Brickhouse Bourbon Bar & Grill, conveniently connected to Riverside patrons who relish a great cigar with a drink or two on the side. Plus, Brickhouse is featuring the live music of ‘200 Proof’ to celebrate opening night.
And stay tuned throughout 2011, as Riverside Cigar Shop and Lounge will be expanding with a private, upscale cigar club in the rear of the current location. Limited to 30 total memberships, 20 yearly and 10 lifetime, and complete with private keycard entry, cigar discounts and many other amenities, it will be the ultimate for the cigar establishment of Kentuckiana.